Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Getting organized: Make use of vertical space

Free up drawer space and keep lots of doo-dads handy by making better use of your wall space.

I installed this set of magnetic spice tins above the countertop beside my desk. You can find these tins in lots of different home stores for a reasonable price...but I had coupons, of course! The clear lids fit snugly and show the contents inside.

I took apart an old combo magnet/dry-erase board and cut the thin metal surface into two narrow strips (be careful, the edges are sharp). I nailed the strips flush against the wall right underneath a row of shelves, so the tins are at eye-level and arm's reach when I'm sitting at my desk.

It's a great use of what would typically be dead space below a shelf and it's easy to see exactly what I need and remove the tin to take it out.

I store sewing and craft supplies in my set of tins...buttons, brads, charms, pins. They're also great for office supplies or all that stuff floating around in that one crazy kitchen drawer we all have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your comments!