Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Getting organized: Listmaker, listmaker, make me a list!

Nothing beats a good old-fashioned checklist for getting everything you need to do corralled into one place so you feel a little less overwhelmed.

For household issues, I like to use a yellow legal pad. Every time I come across something that needs to be cleaned, fixed, filed, replaced, removed, redecorated, de-cluttered, reorganized... I write it on the list. It may not get done right away, but I don't have to fret about it because I know it won't be forgotten. It's on the list.

But what never ceases to amaze me is how one item on the list can actually become several tasks. For example, I need to replace the drapery rod bracket that fell out over my sliding glass door. Should be an easy thing to do, right? Well...maybe not.

To do:  Replace drapery rod bracket
  • Find the screw that fell out and rolled under the sofa
  • Buy a safer, taller stepladder - the one I have is too short and wobbly
  • Charge the electric drill and look for the phillips screwdriver drill bit
  • Discover that my jar of spackle is hard as a rock. Buy new spackle to fill the hole and cover the bright blue drywall anchor forever lodged inside the wall
  • Since the curtains are down, may as well wash and press them
  • Realize that one reason it all fell down was because the curtains are too heavy for the light-duty rod
  • Wait for coupon to come in mail for favorite home decor store, then go buy new rod system
  • Two weeks have passed...need to charge the drill again and re-press the curtains that got creased while draped over the chair all this time
  • The "knocking" technique is not turning up the location of a couple studs to ensure the new rod brackets never fall out...need to borrow somebody's stud finder
  • Give up and add it to a different list of things I need to hire a handyman to do for me

Oh well, so my family room gets a little more light, lol. 

I still feel better knowing everything I need to do is on a list. If one task gets frustrating, I'll just move on down to another task that I can actually complete and feel good about it!

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful."  
—William Morris

1 comment:

  1. Like the idea of noting down steps and what you have done to resolve this project. Saves time in the long run not to reinvent the wheel.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your comments!