Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Why end-of-life planning is so important

We'd like to share some excerpts of letters that Terry has received over the years from people who have bought her workbook...their stories might be your story, too.

"My sister and I are caring for our 89-year-old mother who's losing her memory, and we need to know what affairs to get in order. What a blessing to have a real check-list, instead of just floundering around from one crisis to another!"

"My middle-aged children, who think they will live forever, especially need your book. Several of them will fall in line to settle estates and perhaps with your book we'll see some things we've missed."

"I know I have waited too long to take care of these important matters and I feel your book will be a great place to start catching up. I have taken care of several issues, but need to be more diligent in tucking in the loose ends. My husband passed away very unexpectedly twenty years ago, and I found out too late that we had failed to cover all the matters. I don't want my children to be faced with this dilemma when I pass on."

"I lost my 42-year-old son three years ago and the things I went through will forever be in my mind. He had no will and lots of debt with his business. Fortunately I got referred to a good estate attorney who helped me take care of everything, so that I know in my heart that he didn't owe anything to anyone...which was what I needed to do for my son's memory."

"People must prepare. Our own tragedy is that our adult son thought he was too young at 43 to make a will and share all the financial details with his wife. When he was killed in an accident, she was left without a clue and could not find all the documents needed to be secure. Since he was a computer wizard, everything was kept there, but he didn't leave a trail of passwords so a lot of information is lost."


1 comment:

  1. How very true.These stories really hit home. My mother died right after an auto accident and I had no clue as to her wishes and/or important information. What a mess I was left with.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your comments!